Authorities, Family Search For Body Of Man Who Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon


A National Diploma certificate holder, identified as Lekan Odunare, has reportedly jumped into the in an attempt to commit suicide.

Authorities, Family Search For Body Of Man Who Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon
jumps into

The victim, whose body had yet to be recovered, jumped into the lagoon in the Epe area around 10am on Tuesday.

In a video circulating on social media, Lekan could be seen sitting on the rails of a bridge before plunging into the waters.

Before he dived in, a man filming the scene was heard querying his intention.

Lekan, who looked distressed, did not answer any of the questions before jumping into the lagoon.

Many social media users, however, wondered why the man behind the camera made no effort to save him.

A source, who claimed to know the victim and spoke to our correspondent, said his remains had yet to be found.

He said, “The boy is like a younger brother to me. I saw the news first on Facebook and I called his elder brother to ask if it was true and he said yes. When I asked if they had found the body, he said they had not found it but that the people that were around the area said he died after jumping into the lagoon.

“I can’t say why he jumped into the lagoon; probably he was depressed or something. He has finished his national diploma and was learning surveying; I don’t know why he would jump into the lagoon.”

The deceased’s brother, Usman, said he never opened up about anything bothering him.

He said, “I don’t even understand the situation. He just wished to do that to himself. He used to be depressed once in a while, but at least he should have come out and spoken to someone. If there was anything bothering him, he should have talked but that was how he chose to live his life. It has not been easy for our mother, but she will get over it as time goes on.

“We have not seen his body; we are searching for his body and hoping he will float to the shore because the lagoon is deep and nobody can enter into it.”

He also said the family did not report the matter to the police.

The Public Relations Officer of the Emergency Management Agency, Nosa Okubor, said the agency did not receive any report about the incident.


Join our Telegram Group

Follow talkGlitz on Instagram TalkGlitz on Twitter
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More