Widow Raped By Policeman From Dusk Till Dawn For Not Wearing Face Mask

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Art illustrating the act of rape

A widow in Rivers State has disclosed she was raped by a policeman from dusk till dawn for not wearing a face mask.

Gistreel reports that a human rights activist named Prince Wiro has charged the Rivers State Command to investigate and prosecute its operative accused of raping the widow over alleged breach of COVID-19 protocols.

According to the 32-year-old widow, policemen attached to the Sakpenwa Police Division in Tai Local Government Area had her arrested on July 28, 2020, for not wearing a face mask. They then took her to a guest house where one of them allegedly raped her at gunpoint.

Policemen in Rivers State
Policemen in Rivers State

Her words:

I was returning from Bori to Port Harcourt when I met some police officers at a checkpoint. They arrested me for not wearing nose mask. They kept me long there with them.

“Thereafter they carried me from one place to the other, claiming they want to take me to the police station but never took me to any police station.
“After some time, they took me to a guest house where one of them raped me till dawn. His name is Inspector Peter Iba of Sakpenwa Police Station.”

Responding to the incident, Wiro urged the police command to “open immediate investigation into the alleged rape of this woman by a serving officer.”

He stated:

There is no justification for the punishment of rape to be meted out to a woman because she flouted Rivers State Government order on use of nose masks. I expect the police to take this matter serious.

“You know there’s a recent order from the Inspector General of Police charging every Command to do everything possible to make rape a thing of the past in the society.”

When she was arrested, the victim had raised an alarm via a text message posted on WhatsApp, saying: “I have been taken to a guest house just because of N100 face mask. I can’t believe this is happening to me. He wants to sleep with me. I am dying. He wouldn’t let me pick any call. He threatened to seize my phone.

Reacting to the allegation, the police command in the state through the Public Relations Officer, Rivers Command, Nnamdi Omoni, said:

After hearing about this, we immediately invited the lady. After hearing from her, she made a written statement and Investigation has commenced.

The lady has just made her statement and efforts are on to unveil the identities of the officers alleged to have involved in the act for necessary action.”

Sydney Elike
Follow me

Comments are closed.