How FG Secretly Released Boko Haram Captives To Top Military Personnel
Going by the statement from the Nigerian military which says releasing Boko Haram fighters in exchange for abducted Chibok schoolgirls is a “political decision” beyond its powers.
Source from the Presidency had revealed that there are ongoing Plans by Government to secretly release Boko Haram captives in exchange for some military personnel. This is done to avoid bashing from press and civil organization.
Information minister, Lai Mohammed, who also spoke at the villa Monday, said the government was in talks with Boko Haram sect for the release of the girls and other captives.
He said the government was careful to ensure it was speaking with the right group as the sect had been factionalised.
“The government’s position is clear that we are in touch with them. We are just being careful and cautious to ensure that we are talking to the right people especially with the news that there is a split in the leadership. But what is important is the safety and security of these girls,” Mr. Mohammed said.
On the planned match by the BringBakcOurGirls to Aso Rock presidential villa, the minister said the government appreciated the group’s commitment to the return of these girls but “there are few things we need to do behind the scene. What we are saying is that the government is committed to do everything to rescue these girls”.
“We are engaging them. By saying we are talking to them, I am talking from a point of knowledge. It does not matter what other people say. I know that the government is in touch with the group,” he said.
He said the government had not relented on efforts to find and recover the girls.
“For us, it is not just because of the release of the video but because of our belief that there will be no final closure to Boko Haram until we are able to resolve the issue of these girls,” he said.